Just like we need food and water to survive, we also need good quality sleep!
Sleep disorders lower quality of life and contribute to physical and mental health problems. Sleep disorders and lack of sleep are an under treated threat to the public health. Sleep professionals have recognized the behavioral components of sleep disorders for decades, yet most patients never get a proper diagnosis and treatment.
It is not unusual to have sleep temporarily disrupted by injury, illness, loss, stress and life changes, but those disruptions should be short-lived, and even when chronic pain or stressors persist.
Behavioral Sleep Medicine is an expanding area of sleep psychology that focuses on the evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders by addressing behavioral, psychological, and physiological factors that interfere with sleep. Improving sleep quality and efficiency can also significantly minimize chronic pain and improve stress management.
Dr. Shapiro can consult with individuals and families and provide direct intervention services via telehealth to treat many sleep-related difficulties:
- Insomnia – difficulties falling asleep, staying asleep, or waking up too early
- CPAP sensitivity and habituation
- Jet Lag and Shift Work
- Narcolepsy and Idiopathic Hypersomnolence
- Circadian Rhythm disorders
- Bedtime resistance
Many Behavioral Sleep Medicine interventions are based on cognitive-behavioral therapies (CBT), supported by scientific data and with a successful track record for treating a variety of sleep disorders.
Most CBT therapies for sleep disorders are brief, involving a clinical interview and a limited number of treatment-focused follow-up appointments.
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- General Clinical Services Agreement
- Additional Information for Comprehensive Evaluations
- Comprehensive Child and Adolescent Intake Questionnaire
- Comprehensive Adult Intake Questionnaire
- Form for Release / Exchange of Confidential Information
**Note that the Intake Questionnaires are fillable PDF forms – save them to your hard drive, complete online, and return to me by email or by fax.