Appropriate concussion management isn’t rocket science, but it does require specialized training and knowledge – when managed properly, athletes of all ages should be able to recover fully and return to the classroom, workplace and playing fields without permanent difficulties.
Our hands-on, common-sense, and interdisciplinary approach to concussion management can provide that proper approach and help to speed recovery.
Why Dr. Shapiro?
- Her emphasis on an individualized and collaborative approach to concussion management, working as a member of your healthcare team
- Her unique blend of skills as a developmental neuropsychologist, sports neuropsychologist, school psychologist, testing expert, parent and athlete, with clinical experience managing injuries in youth, elite, and professional athletes
- Dr. Shapiro will develop concussion Care Plans that keep life as normal as possible, while providing necessary supports and adjunctive therapies to facilitate, and expedite, full recovery as quickly as possible
- She does not take a passive “let’s-give-it-time” approach to concussion management. If properly managed, symptoms should improve day-by-day, with 80-85% of older adolescents and adults expected to recover fully within 2-3 weeks
- Dr. Shapiro rarely diagnosis Post-Concussion Syndrome (PCS) – rather, she looks for contributing factors that can complicate and compound post-injury symptoms, and identifies avenues for treatment to resolve ALL symptoms
- Dr. Shapiro administers only as much testing as needed in order to evaluate and monitor recovery, providing reports within 24 hours – if not at the time of the appointment – for patients, schools/workplace, and related providers
- She provides the specialized concussion-care that is recommended for school-aged athletes and individuals with a history of risk factors that can prolong recovery
Concussion-related services include:
- Acute post-injury evaluations with home-, school-, and workplace-management Care Plans
- Evaluation, care planning, and case management for chronic or lingering post-injury symptoms and diagnoses of Post-Concussion Syndrome (PCS)
- Coordination of school-based supports
- Coordination of care with healthcare and sports teams
- Baseline testing for individuals, teams and organizations
- Training, oversight, or consultation to organizations, teams, and allied professionals
- Concierge services for medical practices, organizations and teams
Urgent appointment scheduling available.
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- General Clinical Services Agreement
- Concussion Brief Intake Questionnaire
- Concussion Appointment Records Checklist
- Form for Release / Exchange of Confidential Information
**Note that the Brief Intake Questionnaire is a fillable PDF form you can save to your hard drive, complete online, and return to me by email – or bring a printed copy to the appointment. You will need an up-to-date version of the Adobe Acrobat reader.